An article in English*, specially written for our dear hosts all over the world, and for whom we almost always cook the same dish : a vegetarian « quiche » !
Almost always, because in South East Asia, it wasn’t possible. Why? Because they miss an essential element : the oven.
Anywhere else, even if we didn’t have the circle dish we usually use in France to make a quiche, we were able to cook this delicious dish! Maybe sometimes it made us happier than our hosts… We love quiche!
For the dough:
- 200 g of flour
- 100 g of butter
- about 10 cL of water
For the preparation which will cover the dough:
- 6 eggs
- about 20 g of cream
- vegetables (mushrooms, zucchinis, paprikas, eggplants, tomatoes… whatever you like)
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, nutmeg, herbs or spices (according to your tastes).
The recipe :
1) Prepare the dough :
In a bowl, put the flour with a bit of salt.
Add the butter in small pieces and mix with your hands.
Add the water little by little, and keep on mixing until you get a ball.
Keep it aside.
2) Prepare the vegetables : wash them, cut them into small pieces and fry them in a pan with olive oil. Loris’ special tip : when your veggies are almost cooked and the pan is very hot, pour some balsamic vinegar and stir until it is completely evaporated. If you don’t have it, you can use any kind of vinegar, soy sauce, or even water.
3) In a different bowl, scramble the 6 eggs.
Add the cream. If it is a thick cream, it is better to whip it first and to add the eggs after, or it will be hard to have an homogeneous mixture.
Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and other spices if you wish.
Add your vegetables.
Keep it aside.
4) Spread the dough on your table. Use flour to prevent it from sticking to the table.
Transfer it to the dish.
Pour the eggs and vegetables mixture inside.
5) Turn the oven on 180°C. When it is hot, put your quiche inside for 40 to 60 minutes. (You need to check, the dough and the top must be cooked)
Thank you to Mariam and Mohammed-Reza! Your kitchen was just perfect to realise and illustrate this recipe ! 🙂
*Sorry if our English is approximate, we do our best !